News‎ > ‎News of the Day‎ > ‎

27 July 2018

posted 27 Jul 2018, 10:59 by Rights in Russia   [ updated 27 Jul 2018, 14:41 ]
Russia Promises UN to End Prison Torture
Russia will prosecute perpetrators of torture in its prisons, including guards caught on video beating an inmate that has led to a public outcry, the deputy justice minister told the United Nations human rights watchdog this week. Authorities detained six prison guards on Monday, days after a video circulated online showing at least 10 guards torturing and beating an inmate with truncheons. The Novaya Gazeta newspaper published the 10-minute clip last week and said the incident took place in June 2017 in a prison in the city of Yaroslavl, northeast of Moscow. UN experts on the Committee against Torture raised the case of the detainee identified as Yevgeny Makarov on Monday at the start of a two-day regular review of Russia's record. Panel chairman Jens Modvig also called on authorities to provide a "clear signal" to law enforcement personnel and the public that torture is prohibited. [...]
Source: The Moscow Times [27 July 2018]

Russian Authorities Probe Alleged Abuses In Prisons After Torture Video Emerges
Russian federal authorities are cracking down against prison guards and local police in a series of abuse cases after video emerged on social media showing guards torturing a prison inmate in the city of Yaroslavl, northwest of Moscow. The arrests and trials, which are not directly connected to the Yaroslavl video, appear to be part of a campaign by federal authorities to respond to public outrage over the prison-torture footage. In Russia's North Caucasus region of Ingushetia on July 27, seven police were sentenced to prison terms ranging from three to 10 years on charges of torturing 13 criminal suspects at a police post. Meanwhile, a court in Siberia on July 27 sentenced one police officer to seven years and another to six years after convicting them of using electric shocks to torture three handcuffed suspects during an interrogation. [...]

Source: RFE/RL [27 July 2018]

Seventh defendant in Yaroslavl prison torture case put under house arrest
The Zavolzhsky District Court of the city of Yaroslavl has put under house arrest deputy head of the correctional department of the Yaroslavl Penal Colony One, Ivan Kalashnikov, seventh defendant in the criminal case over beating and torture of an inmate, the press-service of the court has stated. Earlier, the court has detained six defendants in the case over an abuse of office involving use of violence case, which is being investigated by the main directorate of the Investigative Committee. The crime may be punished by a prison term of up to 10 years. [...]
Source: RAPSI [27 July 2018]

Seven members of Ingushetia’s law enforcement officers found guilty in torture case
The Nalchiksky Garrison Military Court has sentenced seven employees of the Center for Counteracting Extremism (“Center E”) of the Interior Ministry’s Directorate for the Republic of Ingushetia as well as regional Federal Security Service (FSB) directorate, to prison terms for a range of crimes, lawyer Andrey Sabinin has told RAPSI. The law enforcement officers, depending on their individual actions, were charged with murder, robbery, extortion, burglary, theft of documents, forging of documents, and abuse of office using violence leading to grave consequences. [...]

Source: RAPSI [27 July 2018]

Court leaves Oyub Titiev under arrest
The Supreme Court (SC) of Chechnya has denied the defence's request to transfer Oyub Titiev, the head of the Grozny office of the Human Rights Centre (HRC) "Memorial", under house arrest and left him in custody until December 22. The "Caucasian Knot" has reported that on July 9, the Shali City Court of Chechnya extended Oyub Titiev's arrest until December 22. Earlier, the SC of Chechnya refused to consider Titiev's case outside of Chechnya and extended his arrest until July 25. [...]

Source: Caucasian Knot [27 July 2018]

Risks Rise As Sentsov's Hunger Strike Enters 75th Day, Lawyer Warns
The lawyer for Ukrainian filmmaker Oleh Sentsov, who is serving a 20-year prison term in Russia and has been on a hunger strike for nearly two months, says the health risks for his client are rising as the protest enters its 75th day. Sentsov, a vocal opponent of Russia's 2014 annexation of Crimea, was sentenced in 2015 to 20 years for conspiracy to commit terrorism. Sentsov is serving his term in Russia's northern region of Yamalo-Nenets after being convicted on terrorism charges that he and human rights groups say were politically motivated. The 42-year-old denies the charges and has been on a hunger strike since mid-May, demanding that Russia release 64 Ukrainian citizens he considers political prisoners. [...]
Source: RFE/RL [27 July 2018]
Comments