Republic of Dagestan: Two Local Residents Detained on Suspicion of Murdering Village School Director

posted 21 Jul 2011, 10:26 by Rights in Russia   [ updated 21 Jul 2011, 10:32 ]
21 July 2011

Translation by Memorial

On July 16, 2011 Svetlana, the wife of Derbent city, Republic of Dagestan, resident Ibrahim Isabegovich Seferbekov, born 1983, sent a written notice to the Human Rights Center “Memorial.” He was arrested on charges of murdering the director of a school in the village of Sovetskoye, Magaramkentsky Region of the Republic of Dagestan, Sadinkullakh Akhmedovich Akhmedov,

Svetlana wrote that on July 9 at 8:00 am she and her husband left their home and traveled on bus number 17 to the “Yuzhnaya” bus stop. They were the last to leave the bus; they were promptly surrounded by police officers who demanded to see their passports, although they themselves did not introduce themselves and did not offer any verification. One of the siloviks took Ibrahim’s passport and began to force him to go with them. Ibrahim asked on which grounds he was being arrested; one of the police officers promised to tell him later. Ibrahim insisted that Svetlana come with them. The siloviks answered that his wife could go wherever she wanted.

Then they all got into a “Zhiguli” and left for the city department near the “Severnaya” bus stop. In an office on the second floor, they took the spouses’ mobile phones and took Svetlana’s passport from her. They began to ask Ibrahim why he wore such a long beard, whether he had a criminal record, and whether he served in the army. Then they informed them that Akhmedov – the director of a school in the village of Sovetskoye – had been killed. According to the siloviks’ information, the couple was possibly connected to the murder. Svetlana and Ibrahim were asked what they were dong that day. According to Svetlana, her husband had an alibi – neighbors had seen him at home. However, the silovks said that Ibrahim could have taken a car, arrived in Sovetskoye, killed the director and returned.

The detainees were left alone in the office for half an hour. Police officers came to them one after another an asked them questions. Then a young woman came into the office and requested that Svetlana go into a neighboring room. There she began to interrogate her, asking as well for a lock of her hair and sample of her fingernails. Svetlana refused, after which the young woman invited a police officer located nearby into the room, and he began to threaten Svetlana, “What, do you want us to take it by force?” Svetlana demanded a receipt showing that they had taken a lock of her hair and a piece of her fingernails. After that, the interrogation continued. The woman noticed that she had seen the siloviks questioning before, in December 2010, when her husband had been detained earlier. Then he was held in handcuffs for three hours as they asked him why he wore a beard. They let him free not far from the Karl Marx sovkhoz near a vacant lot on the seabank.

In the city department office, a police officer announced to Ibrahim, “If I wanted, I could put you away for a month!” He also asked whether there were any banned illegal items in Ibrahim’s house. The spouses were kept until 12:30 pm, then put into a car and were taken home by police officers. The siloviks, upon arrival, took it upon themselves to inspect the house. The division head, who had reached the house immediately on the arrival of the other police officers, stayed in the kitchen. As Svetlana noticed, he kicked a pillow, asking what was in it. Then he tore the pillow up and pulled out a packet, at which one of his colleagues shouted, “Don’t touch it, let the owner take it himself.” According to his wife, Ibrahim opened the packet and said, “This isn’t mine, why did you hide it here?” There were 16 cartridges and an F-1 grenade in the packet.

Svetlana writes that they took a laptop, SIM-cards and flash drives, a modem, as well as a Qu’ran, a book “Hadis'” and a notebook.
In the courtyard an investigator formed a search protocol. After that, the spouses were brought to the Magaramkentsky Regional Department of Interior Affairs and not allowed to call anyone. There they were interrogated, their fingerprints were taken, and they were photographed. They were promised to be let free, but they were kept there until late night without food and water. Near 9:00 pm, Svetlana began to bleed from her nose and throat. At 9:30 the police officers held a meeting, after which Ibrahim and Svetlana were informed that Ibrahim would be kept for two days as a suspect on two charges – murder and possession of firearms. They promised to release him or make charges against him on Monday, July 11. At midnight Svetlana was freed, saying that during the day she had not been detained but could have left when she wanted, and that she had had access to her husband.

On July 9, Ibrahim was assigned a state attorney.

On July 10, Svetlana brought a packaged to her husband but was not allowed to see him. At 5:00 pm she was called and informed that a judgment had taken place, that Ibrahim would be held for two months.

Svetlana writes that Ibrahim is located in the isolation ward in the city of Derbent. Meetings with him are not allowed. She is sure that the cartridges and grenade were planted on him, and asks her husband’s violated rights be restored.

Ibrahim’s father, Isabeg Khidirnabievich Seferbekov, a resident of the village of Sovetskoye, sent a written notice to the HRC “Memorial” on July 16. He wrote that on July 16 at 7:00 am nine men, a few of whom were in civilian clothes and a few of whom were in camouflage OMON officer uniforms, arrived at his home in two automobiles (a light grey “Niva,” registration number 013, and a red VAZ-2107 with the inscription “DPS,” registration number 312.) They claimed to have a authorization to search the house, but did not show their warrant despite requests from residents of the apartment building. They requested witnesses familiar with the court authorization which had been signed by the judge Akhmedkhanov on the application of investigator Murad Magomednabiev. The foundations for search, according to the documents, was the complicity of Isabeg’s son, Salman Isabegovich Seferbekov, born 1985, in the murder of S. Akhmedov, a school director.

The inspection began. The main body of police officers, along with the witnesses, went into the building, and two stayed in the courtyard. One of them stood at the corner of the house, and the other ran over to the side of a shed, from which no one could observe him. The police officers search the home, but as Isabeg said, in an entirely negligent way: they didn’t open bags or look into packets. Then two silovks in OMON uniforms, talking something over, left the Seferbekovy home. After that, they called Isabeg and all the family members to the search of the shed.

"Two employees went to the barn with witnesses, on the right they checked the empty glass jars, negligently inspected them and then confidently approached the boxes, which were stored in small banks along with a lot of empty plastic bags. A silovik put his hand under the second box, pulled out two bags and spread the contents on the window frame near the boxes. The silovik barely opened the two dirty black bags and pulled out a soap-like object, on which was written "TNT charge of 2000." There was also a cord, and the contents of the second package was cartridges. Then the workers proposed to drag all of it into the street."- Isabeg wrote in his statement.

Then an officer in civilian clothes made ​​search protocol but did not allow Isabeg's son, Salman, to add his observations. After the protocol, Salman was put in the light grey “Niva” and taken away.

Isabeg thinks that the TNT charge, cord, and cartidges were planted on Salman. He requests help in freeing his sons and fears that they are being tortured and forced to confess to a crime they did not commit.

July 21, 2011

Human Rights Center Memorial, 127051, Russia, Moscow, Maly Karetny, 12
tel: +7 (495) 225-3118, fax: +7 (495) 624-2025, email: